The US Federal Trade Commission requires that Internet and Affiliate Marketers disclose any relationship they have with a product or service provider when they write a review about their product or service.
Here are the guidelines I operate under at WealthyDragon:
- I am never paid to do a review. I never accept money to review a product or service. I invest my own time to review and test products and services.
- I only review products or services that I either currently use or have used in the past.
- I do not claim that the experience and benefit I received from using a product or service is typical. Everybody’s experience will be different and is dependant on many other factors including, but not limited to, your work ethic, your implementation, your system specifications and other factors that may influence your experience and benefit from using the product or service.
- If I create a link to a product in a review I am often paid a commission if you purchase the product or service through that link. This is because I used and liked the product so I signed up as an affiliate. This is not true in every case and when I am eligible for commission I therefore include a statement in the first few paragraphs of the review stating that I am an affiliate. This does not make any difference to the price you pay.
- I am eligible for commission if you buy a product through any of the advertisements on this site. This does not make any difference to the price you pay.
I believe these are good rules and practices for Internet Marketing. It’s important for you as a consumer to understand the relationship between a person reviewing the product or service and the product or service provider.