I saw a question in one of the forums today asking what the top 5 ways of promoting a blog are.
Interestingly, one of the answers (and there were only two when I looked) focused heavily on SEO: things like keywords in titles, H tags and content, installing SEO plugins, tagging etc.
But, while these are important and fundamental things to do, they’re passive.
They’re basic SEO, which means a blog on which these are done properly (and they should all be done properly on all sites) will work its way up the natural search results and traffic will start coming in. Slowly.
But you can be much more proactive about promoting your blog.
So here, then, are not 5 but 10 proactive things you can do to promote a blog:
- Use your RSS feed to distribute your posts far and wide
- Register your blog on Google Friend Connect
- Register your blog in blogging directories like Technorati
- Put a link to your blog in your email signature (I recently won some new business from doing this)
- Participate in forums and place an enticing link to your blog in your forum signature (lots of traffic from this tactic)
- Write articles (re-working old articles if necessary) and publish them on article sites with a link to your blog in the resource box.
- Guest post on other blogs
- Join networking sites (like LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, etc) and place a link to your blog in your profile on each.
- Put your blog’s URL on your name cards
- Use paid advertising channels
You’re very welcome to add to this list (or object to it) in a comment 🙂